Tuesday, June 5, 2012

30 Days of Flowers - Day 5 - FlowerBursts

Patriotic Paper Strip Flower Burst Decoration


Last year I made some newspaper wreaths and thought about using colored paper instead to do something similar. Since I needed a flower for today and Independence Day is coming soon, I thought I would try this.
 I used a plastic plate and varying widths of paper strips the same way I cut the newspaper for the wreath. Then I added them to my paper plate in layers and this is what I came up with. It needs to be tweaked a bit, but it will be a nice centerpiece or “wreath” to hang on the door.

While completing this project I discovered by accident that if you cut with the fold intact instead of the way I have shown above you end up with a unique little flower as well. I am going to save that one for another one of my days this month.
If you want to try this here is what you need:
Supplies:
·         Plastic Plate
·         Scissors
·         ScrapBook Size Paper / Cardstock okay
·         White Standard Printer Paper
·         Hot Glue Gun
Fold your paper in half and then in half again, if using standard size scrapbook papers. You will cut towards the fold but not through it. Leave about 1/4 inch.


Once you have all your cuts made, roll the paper around a pencil or straw. If you are making flowers, glue the end together so you have a nice round flower. If you are using this color as your strip to put on your plate. You will fan fold it instead and then glue them in layers to your plate.


Plastic works better than paper. The more layers you have the heavier your plate will become and the paper plates just don't hold up.


Okay, there you have it. Day 5 of 30 Days of Flowers. Let me know what you think .
Thanks for stopping by!! Feel free to leave a comment and don't forget to follow our blog.




3 comments:

  1. those are so awesome! i've never seen anything like that before! totally pinning this on a few boards. thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and for stopping by. I appreciate all of you who host blog parties. It is such a great way to connect and share. See you next Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kathi this is just so cool, love the color combo especially with the 4th of July coming up... thanks for sharing at the link party this week! Can't wait to see what's coming next!

    ReplyDelete