Monday, June 4, 2012

30 Days of Flowers - Day 4 - Wax Dipped Flowers

30 Days of Flowers
Day 4:
Wax Dipped Flowers
While reading an old McCalls magazine from the 60’s I saw these wax dipped flowers. Their instructions were pretty complex and didn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. So, as I often do, I winged it.

My Supplies:
·        Crepe Paper
·        Scissors
·        Clear Candle Wax
·        Floral Tape
·        Hot Glue
·        Double Boiler
·        Stove Top or other heat source
·        Tweezers or Tongs
·        Wax Paper

 
I used various lengths of crepe paper based on how large I wanted the flower to be. For one type, I cut a wide scallop pattern onto one side of the strip. Then I wound it tightly together for the middle and pinched it around the finish it off. My pinches were looser as I got to the end. You may want to add a dab of glue here and there to keep it together.

For the other type I used about 1 ½ feet strip and cut 1/8 inch cuts all along one side about ¾ of the way up, then rolled this onto a straw, secured the bottom with floral tape then slid it off of the straw and stretched out the petals to get the dandelion? effect.

Secure the flower at the bottom with floral tape.

Once you have all of your flowers made fill your bottom pot of the double boiler with water about ½ full. Place your candle wax in the top pot. Wait for the wax to be completely transparent. DO NOT RUSH this step. If you do, you will have a thick waxy residue on the flowers.
Once the wax is transparent, grab your flower by the bottom with your tongs and dip into the wax completely submerging it. Lift it up quickly and let it drain for a moment. Place it on wax paper up right. 
For the dandelion or carnation type flowers, you may want to have a fork handy. As you bring the flower up out of the wax, use the fork to separate the petals, otherwise they may stick together.
I will be adding a separate tutorial for this with more pictures in the next week or so.

These are pretty flowers that have such a beautiful texture and shine to them after they are waxed.

Thanks for stopping by. I love feedback!! Please leave
your comments below and don’t forget to visit my links page to check out other great blogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment