Sunday, June 10, 2012

30 Days of Flowers - Day 10 - Aluminum Can Leaf Designs

Recycle Aluminum Cans Into Flower or Leaf Designs


Since I am all about using what you have around the house, I decided to use up some aluminum cans that were headed for the recycling center. My husband usually brings them home from work crushed up, but I begged him to leave them whole for me so I could try this out.


My Supply List:
  • Aluminum Cans
  • Scissors
  • Gloves/Goggles (if you want to be really safe)
  • Ballpoint Pen
  • Cardboard
  • Spray Paint
  • Glue (Tacky or Hot glue)
Step 1:
  • Find a petal or leaf shape that you like and make a cardboard template out of it.
Step 2:
  • Cut the top and bottom off of your cans and then cut down the middle to open the sheet of aluminum flat. (use weights to help hold it open)



Step 3:
  • Cut the leaves out or leave them all on the strip. I found that leaving them all together made it easier to paint them.



Step 4:
  •  Emboss your leaves with the ballpoint pen. First draw your lines on the front side. Then, flip the leaf over and retrace the lines you just engraved/embossed with your pen so they pop out the front.  (If you left all the leaves on a strip now you will paint)

Step 5:

Paint your leaves/petals and let them dry. If you are impatient, your leaves will be tacky and not be easy to work with. I used an aluminum finish Krylon spray paint.

Step 6:  

Put your leaves/petals together with tacky or hot glue by layering them on top of one another. I used one leaf rolled up in the middle of mine to finish it off. 










Thanks for stopping by. I love comments and ideas. Please let me know you were here by saying hello and don't forget to follow the blog and also follow on Twitter.  Have a great Sunday.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathi, just stopping by to see your sweet blog! Recycling cans!! Ahhh you just gave me a FABULOUS idea!!

    ReplyDelete